Go Girl, Go for IT
Since August 2011, I have been of a part of an incredible team of women working to put together the event Go Girl, Go for IT. The bi-annual event was held on the 18th & 19th June at Deakin University in Burwood. Go Girl, for IT is an initiative of the Vic ICT for Women Network.
My role was to head up the communications committee. Our committee was responsible for:
- producing a new logo & theme
- posters & brochures (and by extension all printed artifacts)
- the website
- the photography & videography
- marketing & media.
More about that can be found in my portfolio.
Supported by generous sponsors and powered by many passionate volunteers, Go Girl, Go for IT is a free event designed to deliver the key messages about careers in IT in a fun and engaging forum. The logo and theme “Shape Your World” reflects the growing power of girls using and shaping new technology and engages the girls in thinking about the possibilities open to them if they study IT. Go Girl, Go for IT aims for students to be motivated by what they will see and to be influenced by those they will hear from during the event. Key takeaways are:
- Information technology is an adventurous career choice for women.
- Information technology is a good choice for women who want to change the world in positive ways
- Information isn’t just the domain of men or geeks.
- If you are a geek, didn’t you know that geeky is the new sexy?